Sunday, October 20, 2013

City Life

This past year has been a whirlwind of change. I have moved at least 4 times to different states, took my first international trip, got married and  I moved into the "badlands." Technically the "badlands" are part of Philadelphia, just a part that people recommend you stay away from.

Here is a little of the back story on how I ended up here:
During the spring and summer of 2012 I did an internship with a church in Kensington, a ghetto of Philadelphia. This area is known for having the one of the worst drug corners in the US and I was going to share the love of Christ to the homeless and addicts on the street. I thought I would only be there for six months, the length of my internship, little did I know that I would meet my husband at the church and move here.

Fast forward:
My husband and I have been married for almost six months and we are surviving. At first it was really exciting to move to the city because it was something new and exciting. I am originally from a small town, so I liked the change of pace. After six months in the ghetto, I miss my slower, small town atmosphere. We live in a neighborhood that is primarily Puerto Ricans, African Americans, and drug addicts. Since we are a young, newly married, white couple, we stick out like sore thumbs. Cops will see us walking home, keep in mind there is a guy shooting up (a term used when someone is doing drugs, usually heroin, by using a needle to shoot the drug into their veins. This is not shooting a gun, although that happens too.) on the corner that they passed, and turn around to watch us and see what we are doing instead of getting the guy shooting up. I go running and get confused stares from passers by (No one really runs unless it's away from the cops.) Also, while running, I get the friendly motivational cheer of a "Go white girl, go white girl, go!" At least they are cheering for me right?

Needless to say, my husband and I are ready for a change in scenery. The past few months we have been searching for an escape plan, unfortunately God is keeping all the doors closed.

So what did we do? We made a two year plan. We are committing two years to living in the badlands, saving up, and moving out.

For the next two years, I am going to write about my adventures in the ghetto. Survive the badlands with me, maybe even cheer for me from time to time like my neighbor.
Can I get a "Go white girl, go!"?

No comments:

Post a Comment